Experienced WordPress Developer
We’re looking for a front end developer with a focus on WordPress to join the Monkee-Boy team.
Applicants should be able to independently handle the development of a website from start to finish, primarily in WordPress. This position involves working closely with both the design team and other developers. Projects range from individually-managed WordPress sites to collaborating with the full development team on larger customized projects. You would also assist in the maintenance/post-launch support of a variety of projects. This is a full-time position and will be required to work from the Monkee-Boy World Headquarters in beautiful Austin, Texas.
The candidate will be competitively compensated based on work experience, demonstration of success, and other intangibles they bring to the table. They will be able to participate in all employee incentive programs.
This role is for someone with extensive front-end skills and knowledge around WordPress.
- First and most important: passionate about learning new technologies and collaborating with a team.
- At least 1-year experience working at an agency/client projects.
- Fluent with the WordPress admin interface, formatting content, handling menus, and managing custom post types.
- Experience with WordPress custom theme creation, custom post types, and debugging plugins. Our themes are created custom and we don't rely on plugins unless absolutely needed.
- Ability to debug compatibility issues across browsers and devices; Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, iOS, Android.
- Experience with task runners/compiling; we are using gulp right now.
- Comfortable working with git. Our private repos are hosted on Bitbucket and public repos are on Github. We have a pretty simplistic git workflow but it's evolving.
- Basic understanding of build processes including CSS pre/post processors, minification, optimization, etc. We use PostCSS but brought over some of our favorite things about SASS.
- Comfortable digging into API's like Google Maps, Twitter, MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc. We use Google Maps and MailChimp heavily, you will too.
- General understanding of performance when it comes to your code, plugins, and WordPress in general.
- Ability to debug code related issues and familiar with digging into error logs for that sweet sweet trace.
- An understanding of when and why to create a piece of functionality yourself versus using a third-party library. There is a balance between reinventing the wheel and adding bloated third party code.
- Great organization skills with the ability to manage and bounce between multiple projects in a day.
- Excellent communication skills in written, verbal, and documentation. You will be communicating directly with clients, most of the time through our ticketing system.
- Not afraid of the command line; we SSH into servers, deploy with Capistrano or Fabric, manage dependencies with npm, run build tasks with gulp, and spin up local dev servers with Vagrant. We can teach all of these but being comfortable in terminal helps.
The Bonus Round
Each of the below will get you a +1 with us. You don't need to be an expert but should bring the urge to learn. This should also give you a little more insight into what our development environment looks like and what will be asked of you as the position grows.
- Experience optimizing performance when it comes to your own code and get every millisecond out of page load.
- Insight into accessibility; ARIA roles, hovers, interactions, contrast, etc. This is under bonus but understanding why accessibility is important is required. We can work together on making a project accessible.
- Experience in either conducting or participating in code reviews.
- A love for being creative with the little details in UI animations, hover effects, etc.
- Experience developing email templates (responsive or not). Bonus points for knowing your way around MailChimp and Constant Contact.
- An unnatural love of Home Slice Pizza.
About Our Dev Team
This application process is not a one-way street. We want you to have a good understanding of our development environment and the tools we use. It’s important not only for you to be a good fit for us but that we are a good fit for you. We won’t take it personally if you pass on us. If you have questions about the dev team and environment, just let us know.
- We try to avoid the pains of shared hosting companies as often as we can. For this reason, the dev team manages our own VPS. This is great if you have an interest in the fast-paced exciting world of server admin.
- We love git.
- On the back end, our language of choice is PHP. We don't take on projects ouside it.
- We use Vagrant for local dev environments and use Capistrano or Fabric for deployments.
- Outside of using WordPress we have our own custom content management system (using CakePHP) called the M-Pire Enterprise CMS.
- Although the majority of the team works on Macs, you will be free to use whatever you are comfortable with. If you *choose* Windows, you will need to be comfortable configuring/supporting your local environment with the tools we use.
- Our process doesn’t get old. We are always looking at new tools and frameworks along with evaluating how they might improve our current workflow. This doesn’t mean we bounce around to every new thing that comes across Twitter though. It just means that we look for ways to improve our process as needed.
- We love to collaborate. Whether it’s in the office throwing around new ideas, asking each other for help, or grabbing some pizza at Home Slice (is that really collaborating?).
- Finally, we are not alone in the jungle. We work intimately with an incredibly talented team of designers that are constantly throwing new experiences at us. We have an amazing management team that not only understands what we do and why we do it but most importantly trusts us to do it. A project management team that is amazing, allowing us to do our best work.
- Past Monkee-Boy field trips include Pinballz Arcade, Top Golf, Texas State Capitol, Main Event, lots of happy hours and the annual Holiday Party.
- Go head to head in rounds of Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Ultimate Chicken Horse or maybe some Exploding Kittens. Our monthly happy hours might vary but there are always drinks.
- Need a break? Pick up one of over a dozen nerf guns and engage in a little friendly coworker carnage. There is no other past time more valuable than shooting nerf darts at the design team.
- Health Benefits Coverage - medical, vision, dental
- Short- and Long-Term Disability (after 3 months)
- Matching 401K (up to 3% of salary - after 6 months)
- Flexible dress and work environment
- Annual SXSW Interactive Badge
- Annual ACL Music Festival 3-Day Pass
If this sounds good to you, we'd love to hear from you to see if we might be a good fit for one another. No pressure either way.