Web Accessibility Road Map
Monkee-Boy Web Design, Inc. (Monkee-Boy) is committed to ensuring that the information and technology it creates or provides in conducting its activities is accessible in accordance with applicable law (including Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended.) In addition, Monkee-Boy endeavors that web based content adhere to WCAG 2.1 level AA.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. Monkee-Boy's website is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level A.
We are actively working to upgrade portions of our site that are currently not accessible and will continue to do so moving forward to reach and sustain accessibility conformance.
How we support accessibility
Monkee-Boy takes the following measures to enable accessibility practices:
- Incorporating accessibility as part of our mission statement.
- Investing in continual web accessibility training for our staff.
- Educating prospective clients and the greater community on the value of web accessibility.
- Assigning clear accessibility targets and responsibilities to further the company's shared knowledge.
- Recommending the inclusion of web accessibility as a requirement of every project.
- Employing formal accessibility quality assurance methods for all client sites and recommending ongoing web accessibility conformance testing to ensure the highest level of ongoing inclusivity.
Our roadmap to greater inclusivity
Monkee-Boy’s website is currently undergoing a partial redesign to deliver a more inclusive online experience. Monkee-Boy’s goal is to deliver an experience that meets or exceeds the WCAG 2.1 Level AA guidelines by the end of Q3 2020. The following is a list of planned activity and estimated delivery:
- Redesign Non-accessible Elements: Q1 2020
- Development Initiated: Q1 2020
- Development Completed: Q3 2020
- Testing & Quality Assurance: Q3 2020
- In-person testing with Knowbility: Q4 2020
- Estimated Launch: Ongoing rollout of new features as they are completed and tested
Accessibility testing regiment
Automated & Manual Testing & Issue Resolution:
- Accessibility Insights - assessment to handle the automated, manual, and assisted checks
- Lighthouse - general testing & issues resolution
- Axe Pro - general testing & issues resolution
- WAVE - general testing, issue resolution, & color contrast
- NVDA Screen Reader - screen reader testing on Windows
- VoiceOver - screen reader testing on OS X and iOS
In-person Accessibility Testing:
- No in-person testing with disabled users has been completed at this point. On completion of automated and manual testing, Monkee-Boy will be working with Knowbility for in-person disability testing.
- Ongoing accessibility testing of the Monkee-Boy.com site is provided as time allows when Monkee-Boy is not helping other clients improve their inclusive experiences.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
Monkee-Boy’s website is not compatible with:
- Web browsers older than 3 major versions
- Any version of Internet Explorer
- Mobile operating systems older than 5 year
- Some assistive technology - as part of Monkee-Boy’s commitment to accessibility, its development team has developed a list of items that are not compatibility with the most common assistive technology. These items are fixed, tested and deployed on completion.
The second article in our "Road to Web Accessibility" series will guide you on how to formalize the path you plan to take to build an inclusive experience.Read more
What the world needs to now, more than ever, is a web that is easy-to-use, welcomes those of all abilities, and allows us to navigate the new world order as efficiently as possible. In this article, we'll explore how COVID-19 might just be the catalyst we need.Read more